Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The town of Southbrook began to take shape after the construction of the railway line from Beauaraba Junction (now Wyreema) to Pittsworth in 1887. The township grew rapidly and a number of services and sporting clubs were established in the late 1800s. It was this growth that encouraged a petition to be sent to the Minister for Education in August 1907 asking for a second school in the district to be constructed. This application was denied and was not reapplied for until 1909. The school finally opened on 31 October 1910 as Elville, the name of the property site it was built on. There was an enrolment of 35 students.

With an increase in numbers, 45 in 1911, a pupil teacher was appointed and renovations to the original buildings took place to cater for the growing numbers. In June 1916, with Samuel J. Dunsdon as head teacher, the name of the school was changed to Southbrook Central.

In 2010 the school celebrated the 100th anniversary of the school. Souvenirs from the celebrations are available from the office.